3.17.2015

it's time to declutter


I have to admit, sometimes I can't make it through an episode of Hoarders without vomiting.  Other times, I feel like my house could have its own episode.  I'm diagnosed OCD, and most people think that just means I super organized and clean all the time.  In reality, my struggle with the disorder includes a lot of compulsive shopping (and not the kind where women sit around a cafe table and joke about their compulsive shopping habits), which makes for having your house super organized a hard goal to meet.  This leads to my anxiety levels shooting through the roof, which leads to me compulsively eating (again, not like the kind women sit and talk about around a cafe table), which makes me need new pants, which gets me right back to the shopping.  It's a disaster, if you think about it.

Thankfully, I have a wonderful psychiatrist.  Yes, the "p" word.  Well, the other "p" word.  The "p" word that actually sounds like it starts with an "s" because the English language is awesome like that.  My psychiatrist realized what was going on and found the right medication and therapy, and along with a little self-awareness, I've been able to get control of all of most of some of my issues.  With this new-found realization of what's going on, I now have more of a desire to be more organized and more of a desire to minimize the amount of "stuff" that is in my home.  I'm sure that my house isn't near as bad as I'm making it out to be, but I just really do not see a purpose in having so many "things" anymore.  I'm also starting to realize that having all of said "things" just gives my boyfriend that many more opportunities to make a mess.

I'm a Pinterest fanatic (check out my Pinterest here!), and I have become more and more inspired by the fresh look of a white, well-lit, open space.  This is everything I want my house to look like.  Why do I need 15 picture frames on my coffee table when only half of them have pictures in them?  I'm learning the less things I have, the cleaner everything looks, and I like that concept.  I mean, there are some people who can fit their entire lives in one room, while I couldn't squeeze my belongings into a 2b/2ba townhome with an attic.  I'm only 29, guys; I shouldn't own that much!
This living space is gorgeous - and everything fits in one room!
So, over the next few months, I'm probably going to be detailing my struggles as I am downsizing.  Luckily, the thought of having a clean and organized space is much stronger than the desire to hold on to useless items, so hopefully it won't be too hard.  I'm not going to promise I will make everything fit in a loft - I happen to like my townhome - but I'll do my best to clean house, literally.  I'll post pictures as I go room by room, if my OCD will allow me to let you guys see my house in disarray.

No comments:

Post a Comment